The Air Defence and Operations Command (in Spanish MDOA) is directly subordinated to the Chief of Defence Staff and depends operationally on the Operations Command.
Its mission is to plan, conduct and execute, on a permanent basis, the surveillance, security, control and air police operations to react to a low intensity crisis that may occur. To this end, it carries out, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, the air police and air defence missions necessary to ensure the integrity of national airspace and contribute to deterrence.
In the event of a threat, the MDOA will use the assigned air, naval and land assets to stop any possible aggression and contribute to deterrence. In order to train and improve the integration of joint capabilities, the Air Defence and Operations Command performs "Eagle Eye training exercises" throughout the year at different points along the Spanish coast.
The Space Surveillance Operations Centre (COVE) depends on the MDOA.
COVE's mission will be surveillance and knowledge of the space situation of interest and provision of services in support of the Armed Forces' operations.
Lieutenant General César Miguel Simón López
As Commander of the Air Combat Command, his main task is to prepare the air combat units, combat support units, state action units and the command and control system, in order to set up the air operational structures for carrying out military operations quickly and efficiently.
As Commander of the Air Defence and Operations Command (MDOA) in the operative structure of the Armed Forces, he is responsible for planning, conduct and monitoring of surveillance, security, control and air police operations in air spaces of sovereignty, responsibility and national interest.
· XXXVII National Defence Course (2017)
· Training for the performance of the duties of Brigadier General
· NATO Senior Officer Policy.
· NADEFCOL for Officers.
· Air Staff Diplomate.
· Fighter Pilot.
· Advanced Air Controller.
· Survival, Evasion and Rescue.
· Aeroplane Observer Course.
· Logistics Supply Course
· 1981 Lieutenant XXXIII Promotion General Air Academy.
· 1981/1982 Advanced Flying school. Fighter Jets Course.
· 1982 14th Wing Albacete.
· 1987 Air Force Academy in San Javier (Murcia). Flight instructor at the Basic Flying School.
· 1988 15th Wing Zaragoza.
· 1991 General Staff of the Air Operative Command in Torrejón de Ardoz Air Base (Madrid).
· 1992/1993 Superior Air School. General Staff Course.
· 1993 General Staff of the Air Operative Command in Torrejón de Ardoz Air Force Base (Madrid).
· 1994 Air Combat Command Staff in Torrejón de Ardoz Air Force Base (Madrid).
· 1998 12th Wing Torrejón de Ardoz Air Force Base (Madrid), Commander of the Support Group and Commander of the Air Forces Group.
· 2001 NETMA, Eurofighter Programme, in Munich, Germany. Programme Management.
· 2004 Logistics Support Command Systems Directorate/Eurofighter Programme Office.
· 2006 Directorate General for Defence Policy, Subdirectorate General for Defence Plans and International Relations, within the NATO Area.
· 2007 Air Staff secondment to the Directorate General for Defence Policy.
· 2008 Permanent Representation of Spain in NATO Headquarters in Brussels, Defence Counsellor of the Spanish Ambassador to the North Atlantic Council.
· 2011 Head of Cabinet of the Air Force Chief of Staff.
· 2014 Chief of Staff of the Air Combat Command.
· 2016 Deputy Commander of the Air Combat Command.
· 2017 General Chief of Air Combat Command.
· Born in La Coruña, he is married and has a daughter
· Sports and reading enthusiast.
· Almost 3,000 flight hours, more than 2,500 on fighter planes.
The Air Defence and Operations Command was created by Ministerial Order 86/2012, of December 4, as follows:
The Air Defence and Operations Command is the body of the Armed Forces operational structure, directly subordinated to the Chief of Defence Staff, responsible for planning, conducting and monitoring surveillance, security, control and air police operations in areas of sovereignty, responsibility and national interest.
The Order determines that:
The commands, units and forces assigned to it or that integrate the constituted operative organizations or those which are established for the fulfilment of the tasks entrusted to it, will operatively depend on the Air Defence and Operations Command.
Subsequently, Order DEF/166/2015, of 21 January, which develops the basic organization of the Armed Forces, establishes in Article 5 that, in the development of the organization of the Defence Staff, the the Air Defence and Operations Command will be integrated as a permanent operational organization.
It will again be reflected in Order DEF/1887/2015, of 16 September, which develops the basic organization of the Defence Staff.