Spain was the first country to take command of this training mission when it was launched in Uganda in May 2010.
The first Spaniards to arrive in the area were 18 instructors from the Army´s Training and Indoctrination Command. They taught specialised training modules, amongst them section command, urban warfare, communications, counter-IED training and healthcare.
Since January 2015, there has continued to be a team of instructors that perform development of the content of the courses or training. Spain was the European country that provided the largest number of soldiers to the mission, 38 troops.
The mission is protected by Resolution 1872 of May 2009 from the UN Security Council. On 25th January 2010, the European Union agreed to launch a military mission to contribute to training of security forces in Somalia.
Spanish participation in the operation was approved by the Council of Ministers on 23rd April, one day after authorisation from the Congress of Deputies was received.
In 2010, Somalia was a stateless nation where pirates, who were operating in the Indian Ocean and whom the European Union was trying to combat with Operation Atalanta, hid with total impunity.
To reinforce this task on land, the European Union launched the Somalia EUTM Armed Forces training mission.
Until the beginning of 2014, the operation was carried out in the Bihanga Camp (Uganda) due to the insecurity of living in Somalia. Later the mission moved to Somalian soil, with its base of operations in Mogadishu.
During that year, Somalian forces intensified their efforts against the terrorist group Al Shabaab. From then on, the mission was centred on training Somalian soldiers and strategically advising them, so that they could take charge of future training.
The EUTM-Somalia training mission aims to teach members of Somalian security forces so that they can assume the security responsibilities of their country and combat terrorism and piracy, collaborating from land with the EU efforts carried out at sea through Operation Atalanta.
· September 30. EUTM Somalia concluded training of the 4th Company of Somali Light Infantry.
· April 16. A total of 89 military personnel completed training of the 3rd Company of the 143rd Battalion of the Somali Army.
· December. EUMT Somalia training team, led by Spain, finishes the 2018 year with more than 500 Somali soldiers trained. EUTM Somalia faces its 6th Mandate, extending Europe's commitment to Somalia until December 2020.
· April. The German and Dutch contingents are withdrawn from Somalia, after being part of EUTM-Somalia for 7 and 5 years respectively.
· February. The Spanish instructor team trains two Companies integrating the Infantry Battalion of the Somali Armed Forces.
· November. Italy expresses its commitment to maintain its command till December 2018.
· March 16. The European Union extends the mission till December 31, 2016.
· January. The mission is moved from Uganda to Somalia.
· May 4. EUTM-Somalia begins its operating phase under Spanish command.
· April 23. The Council of Ministers approves the operation.
· April 22. The Congress of Deputies authorises participation of Spanish soldiers in the mission.
· January 25. The European Union agrees to create a training mission for Somali security forces.
EUTM Somalia concludes training of the 4th Company of the Somali Light Infantry2019/09/30
In MogadishuMore information
Celebración internacional del Día de las Fuerzas Armadas de España2019/06/01
En Mogadiscio, SomaliaMore information
El equipo español en EUTM Somalia adiestra a 12 nuevos instructores somalíes2019/05/10
Es el sexto curso ‘train the trainers’ en el centro de formación de Mogadiscio, un avance para que el Ejército somalí asuma su formación de forma autónoma de forma progresivaMore information