The NATO Standing Naval Forces (SNFs), including the Standing NATO Maritime Groups (SNMGs) and the Standing NATO Mine Countermeasures (SNMCMGs), are the forces in charge of providing to NATO a standing maritime presence.
They act as the main element for the Very High Readiness Joint Task Force (VJTF-M) of the Alliance, being the first forces to be activated, even before a crisis is declared.
Their main areas of operation are the Mediterranean, the Black Sea, the Baltic, the Northern Flank and the Southern Corridor (from the Strait of Hormuz to the Suez Canal, including the coast of Somalia).
Through agreement of the Council of Ministers, for 2019 participation in the operation has been authorised and the following resources have been offered to NATO:
Frigate "Almirante Juan de Borbón": 24th March-23rd June
Frigate "Santa María": 2nd February- 3rd April
Mine Countermeasures "Tajo" (MHC) 1st March to 31st May
· March 1. "Tajo" Minehunter (MHC) is integrated into the operation.
· September 14. ‘Turia’ minehunter, will be incorporated into the Standing NATO Mine Countermeasure Group no. 2 (SNMCMG-2)
· August 25. 'Cristóbal Colón' frigate departs from Ferrol to join the Standing NATO Maritime Group (SNMG-2), where it will remain until December.
· February 25. 'Victoria' frigate departs from Rota to be integrated into the Standing NATO Maritime Group (SNMG-2) for the next three months.
· February 15. 'Segura' minehunter joins the Standing NATO Mine Countermeasure Group no. 2 (SNMCMG-2) for the next three months.
· April 3. 'Reina Sofía' frigate is integrated into the SNMG-1 in Plymouth (UK).
· April 1. 'Tajo' minehunter replaces 'Duero' in SNMCMG-2.
· March 5. Handover/takeover (HOTO) between 'Almirante Juan de Borbón' frigate and 'Méndez Núñez' frigate as command ship at the Port of Tarento (Italy). “Patiño” supply-class fast combat support ship is incorporated.
· January 29. Ship Captain Rubén Rodríguez Peña takes command of the SNMG-2 in Istanbul.
· January 28. 'Duero' is incorporated into the SNMCMG-2 in La Spezia (Italy)
El BAC Patiño finaliza su participación en la Agrupación Naval de la OTAN nº 22019/12/11
En el Mar MediterráneoMore information
El ‘Patiño’ recibe al helicóptero canadiense Ch148 Cyclone2019/12/05
En el MediterráneoMore information
The Unit Trozo de Visita y Registro of 'Patiño' performs NATO advanced training in Crete2019/11/26
In Souda, CreteMore information